Thursday, May 3, 2012

Open- Sourcing

In class, we watched a video by Rheingold that talks about the Open Source movement and what is so special about it. He talks about collaboration and cooperation and how important they are. He states that they are something that help with open sourcing because many people can update/ help out with these concepts. Collaboration is the whole tool that helps build these softwares, etc. It requires cooperation because everything is constantly changing and people need to have patience in working with others.

I like the idea of open-sourcing. It gives people the opportunity to share their ideas and get their ideas out on the table. The one thing I do not like is the fact that things are constantly changing and it can mess up what you have going on. I do believe that it will be a success, however, I am not sure how the people that are doing this can be successful considering everything is free. If it is successful, it will not last very long without having some sort of a charge. Overall, proprietary companies will have the advantage over everyone else because they will end up with the software that lasts longer and does better. I think eventually I will buy into it but as of now I'm not so sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment